Friday, June 6, 2008

Mexico City

Current mood: drained

I finally made it to Mexico... Well let me tell you... that when I do things... I don't do things normal like the rest of people. I like to go out with a bang. This time it was an unplanned bang. wait. that just didn't sound right at all. You know what I mean so I wont try and reword that and make it even more awkward. I will just tell you my little story and newest adventure.

So yesterday I got to Atlanta from Orlando and I texted my friend Diane to see if she was in Atlanta. She was and she said she'd come pick me up for dinner then drop me back off at the airport so i could go on my morning trip to Mexico.
We went for sushi and it was soo good. We had soup and sushi rolls and I was in HEAVEN.

Maybe about 4 or 6 hours later I was not so much in heaven. I was back at the airport puking my guts out. I fell asleep in the lounge couch and woke up in time for work. I still felt bad but figured I'd be ok. Cause sometimes you just have to puke it out and your good to go. Lovely topic... I know. PS. I HATE talking about body functions... hate it.

I get on the plane and meet my crew and they are all pretty nice. Well there was a 5th flight attendant... which was a surprise... she was a load factor... i forgot what that means from training... but basically she was helping out cause we had a full flight. It was great cause I was not at my best today. I felt blah still but I'm a trooper so I kept going. The flight was boarded and the door closed and the flight leader and this 5th flight attendant got into it. Apparently the 5th girl thought she was the bomb-diggity and wanted to run the entire show on the plane. She rubbed all of us the wrong way... but still... i was glad she was there because as soon as the plane started to take off i had to run to the bathroom again. The plane took off with me inside the bathroom. Lovely.

So I come out and start to help set up for serving dinner... the smell of the food was making it way worse. I got halfway through dinner and started on the drink cart and had to excuse myself again. This is when my crew realized that I wasn't doing well. I regained composure... fixed my hair and tried to serve drinks again... I only got about 2 rows down and I had to excuse myself... again. This time was the worst because for 10 minutes there was really nothing left in my stomach except the 2 sips of ginger ale i drank to help calm it. So I had passengers banging on the door cause I had been in there so long while I was just trying stop dry heaving or trying to figure out which end it was gonna come out of. (graphic... I know... I'm sorry)

The pilots asked if I wanted just to go back to atlanta with them but I told them I was sure I'd be fine after a good nights sleep. Well load factor number 5 was just doing a Mexico turn on her Adays (on call days) which means she was not laying over with us... she was going to go straight back to Atlanta... She was trying to convince me to go back so she could have the layover. Heck no. I knew exactly what she was doing... I may be sick as a dog but I wasn't born yesterday. Meanwhile my crew kept approaching me and telling me that no matter what to not let her convince me to switch with her cause they hated her already and didn't want to layover with her or fly with her tomorrow. She kept complaining because she was being over worked because they were basically minus one crew member since I was in the bathroom the whole flight... Well since she was just a load factor (extra person) we weren't technically short a person... such drama! I hate drama... no lie.

I tried to drink water... I ate 2 small bites of bread... to no avail. We finally land and as soon as I disarm the doors I run back to the bathroom. We finally get everyone off and that stupid woman comes up to me again to convince me to trade with her. I say no... Then she tells me that she is gonna put in for short pay cause she worked hard and she can get more money out of it since they were "short a crew member" (aka me.) I almost flipped out on her. If I had any strength left in my body I would have puked whatever was left in me on her face! I'm just trying not to die and she's trying to make money off of me. Unbelievable! I told my flight leader and she said not to worry cause she won't let that get approved... she will fight so that load factor wont get an extra dime.

As we go through customs and all I felt pretty good. We get outside and one of my crew members lights a cigarette. I thought I would die... My stomach hated her. I stayed strong and held in my cookies (obviously figuratively) but all the while searching for a plan b in case my iron jaw plan didn't pan out the way i thought it would... We get in the van and the flight leader pulls out a bottle of "crew juice". Try to not laugh please. I've heard rumors of this crew juice... but I've never actually seen it done. It is an empty bottle of 1.5 liter water with red wine, champagne, oj, cranapple juice and vodka. One smell of that and I was frantically searching for another plan B. The mere thought of any of that mixed together made my stomach churn... but the smell... oh gosh.

If you have ever ridden in a taxi cab in NY you might have an idea of what riding around in a van in Mexico City feels like. I was counting the seconds before I puked... I should have sat in the front seat. It was the longest van ride ever. I started getting hot and clammy all of a sudden... so I asked for the gray bag that my alcoholic flight leader had stored her crew juice in... So I've already been named Pukey. Excellent. So how embarrassing that I'm puking in a gray bag in front of strangers that are my coworkers and I'm sitting next to the van drivers 5 year old son.

We finally made it to the hotel... Holy Moly. AMAZING! My room... gorgeous. It over looks Mexico City... which is not so gorgeous... and my bathroom was to die for. Biggest bathtub EVER. I didn't care about any of that. I made some hot tea and sipped on that and dodged for the bed. I passed out for 4 hours and just felt so week when I woke up. So I know I have to work on my myspaces... I go down to pay for internet in my room and get some gatorade and pretzels and a sprite... all the remedies my mom would have given me if she were here... So it's been an hour since I ate the pretzels and gatorade. They stayed in place where I put them so far... in my belly! Good news. :)

The view from my 9th story room was blah. I mean... well the city is dirty and smoggy. And its night time out right now... I've never seen such a big city so dark before... no street lights and barely any building lights. Its very odd. Anyways... I have to wake up at 4am to work tomorrow... 3 trips... so I better be in tip top shape. Heading in the direction of the big bath tub now and sleep... Sorry for the graffic-ness of my blog today. :)

I'm heading back to the US tomorrow... then back to Mexico City the day after... I hope there is less drama and less of everything else... I'd like to actually go out with my crew to dinner and enjoy the city on the street level this time.

Sleep good my dear myspace friends. All my love...

No comments:

Post a Comment